Thursday, April 29, 2010
Am I ready for this??
WOW! I can't believe it's been a month since I last posted. Time has literally flown by and I've been so busy ... busy doing "what", I'm not sure! I've been taking notes for the blog and it's about time to get them up here.
A "month" means it's time for the first post-treatment check up. (gulp!) I've been putting off thinking about the possibilities and consequences of what this check up could mean. Treatment is over. My security blanket of care has been ripped from my firm grasp. My sweet bubble of denial, hope and cavalier optimism could come crashing down. I'm not ready for this. I mean - I'm REALLY NOT READY FOR THIS.
April 19th. Yup. It's my birthday. Yay me! I made it to another one ... and hopefully many more. :) Thanks to my friends who kept me hopping for 3 days of birthday kindness and caring. I now have 5 more lbs to lose. LOL But it was fun gaining them eating and drinking with you all. :)
I had a great birthday (few days, actually!) ... seeing friends, enjoying the sunshine and really just very happy to be alive. On Monday, I actually slept in (luxuriously) and then enjoyed cleaning the car (seriously!). Then I went to dinner and a movie with a friend. A great day.
April 20th: D-Day. Doctor Day. My first check up with my surgeon Dr Jenken.
After a very sleepless night, I went to the surgeons office early. Toni greets me with a hug and a sheepish "happy birthday" - oh yeah, I guess they have that info on your chart, don't they? I can't imagine anyone else being so lucky as to have a "look see" exam with your colorectal surgeon as a happy birthday greeting. As someone said to me ... there is a full spectrum of luck - some people win the lottery - and some people have the escapades that I seem to encounter. :)
It turned into a "good'ish/bad'ish" news kind of day.
Everything looks ok but doesn't "feel" ok. He's unsure whether he is feeling new tumour growth or scar tissue - other than that he is pleased with my progress. He reiterated that this cancer has a 50% fail rate but his sense is that his own success rate is a bit higher than that. He did advise me to stay positive and enjoy life as much as possible. (good advice!)
The next steps are to come back monthly for a "look-see" exam to see if there is any change in the "iffy" area. Now if you thought it was a hassle going for a pap test once per year ... you ain't seen nothin' yet!
Thursday is my first check back with the oncologist for their own personal "look see" oy! ... I'm bringing more bullets to bite!
A "month" means it's time for the first post-treatment check up. (gulp!) I've been putting off thinking about the possibilities and consequences of what this check up could mean. Treatment is over. My security blanket of care has been ripped from my firm grasp. My sweet bubble of denial, hope and cavalier optimism could come crashing down. I'm not ready for this. I mean - I'm REALLY NOT READY FOR THIS.
April 19th. Yup. It's my birthday. Yay me! I made it to another one ... and hopefully many more. :) Thanks to my friends who kept me hopping for 3 days of birthday kindness and caring. I now have 5 more lbs to lose. LOL But it was fun gaining them eating and drinking with you all. :)
I had a great birthday (few days, actually!) ... seeing friends, enjoying the sunshine and really just very happy to be alive. On Monday, I actually slept in (luxuriously) and then enjoyed cleaning the car (seriously!). Then I went to dinner and a movie with a friend. A great day.
April 20th: D-Day. Doctor Day. My first check up with my surgeon Dr Jenken.
After a very sleepless night, I went to the surgeons office early. Toni greets me with a hug and a sheepish "happy birthday" - oh yeah, I guess they have that info on your chart, don't they? I can't imagine anyone else being so lucky as to have a "look see" exam with your colorectal surgeon as a happy birthday greeting. As someone said to me ... there is a full spectrum of luck - some people win the lottery - and some people have the escapades that I seem to encounter. :)
It turned into a "good'ish/bad'ish" news kind of day.
Everything looks ok but doesn't "feel" ok. He's unsure whether he is feeling new tumour growth or scar tissue - other than that he is pleased with my progress. He reiterated that this cancer has a 50% fail rate but his sense is that his own success rate is a bit higher than that. He did advise me to stay positive and enjoy life as much as possible. (good advice!)
The next steps are to come back monthly for a "look-see" exam to see if there is any change in the "iffy" area. Now if you thought it was a hassle going for a pap test once per year ... you ain't seen nothin' yet!
Thursday is my first check back with the oncologist for their own personal "look see" oy! ... I'm bringing more bullets to bite!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment