Quote of the Day ...

"To be rich in friends is to be poor in nothing" ~ Lillian Whiting
.... sent to me by Jean to brighten what had been my darkest day.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Jan 18th Update - the journey into the unknown begins ...

I’ve been busy with doctor’s appointments, tests, a quick R&R trip to Palm Springs (to recharge my batteries and get some friend hugs!) and then my mother and sister-in-law flew over for a surprise visit this past weekend (my first family visitors!) so I haven’t really kept up with anyone for a few weeks.   I’m sorry but I am doing ok for now.  I am trying to do as much fun stuff while I'm still able to and trying my best to enjoy each day.  :)

Finally, I am getting some news and a treatment plan.  It’s been a stressful few weeks since surgery and I would highly recommend against getting cancer at Christmas!   I seem to have fallen into a perfect storm of how, and when, not to get cancer.   Leave it to me!  Oy.   (especially since I was only a few days away from moving to South America when I had the surgery and had to backtrack on all of my plans). 

Lots of diagnostic MRI’s, CT scans and other tests have determined that my cancer is a late Stage 2/T3 - this means it’s a large tumor but only locally invasive (it has spread locally and they cannot remove it all with surgery)– it doesn’t appear to have metastasized to anywhere else.  But as much as it is a rather rare cancer, it does have a standard, rather successful treatment protocol.   Sadly, one of the drugs for the chemotherapy (Mitomycin-C) is in worldwide, production shortage status and I am trying to find a supply to secure for my own use but not sure if this will be doable and my oncologist is searching for alternatives.

Last week, they made a foam cast (mold) of my body ... I think this is so they can simply pour a new Lori if the need arises (Seinfeld had "Fusilli Jerry" and I have “Foam Lori”!) but they assure me it is so I will be in the exact same position for radiation every day.  They also tattoo’d me so they can pinpoint the exact location.   The tattoos are 3 simple dots (nothing exciting) but they are in the shape of the “therefore” symbol ... so if Prince can change his name to the male/female symbol, then I want to forever be known as the “therefore” symbol! I am Therefore - therefore, I AM!  :)

The planning and scheduling of 6 weeks of daily, concurrent chemo and radiation is taking some time (especially with the drug shortage) but I have a final planning meeting with my 2 oncologists on jan26 and treatment should start on Feb2.  Ground Hog Day.  How appropriate!  LOL ... both from the movie perspective but also from the point that I will have 6 more weeks of “winter” before the spring of my life can begin again.  

I’ve been told (by my mom) that I joke around too much about this and that my situation is very serious but people won’t realize that if I continually joke about it that I am really in the fight for my life and that I really do need my friends and family to think about me and keep in contact.   My main defense mechanism in life is humour and if I can laugh in the face of adversity, I will.  But honestly, right now, I really do need to know that people care ... so I thank you for staying in touch and helping me through the dark days ahead.  

My biggest fear is managing to keep my weight and energy levels up so, I have ordered a food service and other friends are cooking and freezing dinners for me (thanks Simon and Naomi!).   Thus, I think that piece is solved.   My other fear is to lose my level of fitness and to feel housebound and lazy.   I had a friend bring me over some exercise equipment the other day and other friends who live close by have offered to get me out to interact with others and simply to get some “human contact”.   My friends are scattered around the world, so it’s easy to feel isolated and alone but my group of local friends has really helped and I am getting a new found respect/perspective of Calgary.  My friends around the world keep my spirits up with calls, emails, prayers, good wishes and cards.  Thank you!  (thank you also for keeping this off facebook as I have many friends/business colleagues on there who are unaware of my situation. )

Graffiti is getting back to his health and he’s a tremendous comfort to have around. He really is a good boy and seems to have an insight into my illness that is rather uncanny. 

So, that is about all for now until the big meeting on Jan 26th ... until then, thank you all for your caring and concern. I really appreciate it!

~love Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment