Sunday, March 7, 2010
I'd kill for a plate of sauteed vegetables!
Week #5 is OVER!!
It's been a very long week and I've been bottling up as much energy as possible to reward myself with a trip to the Mountains with Rhonda and some friends. Success!! I wasn't able to do a full-fledged hike but we did get to the mountains and had a great trek across Lake Minnewanka - in glorious weather. :) It was a great day to be alive!
Laura, me, Rhonda, Elissa - Lake Minnewanka, Banff, AB
My goal for the week became "rest up enough and store enough energy to go to the mountains on Saturday". This was a daunting task when on Monday, I was barely able to muster up enough energy to get to radiation treatment and then come home to sleep again - how on earth would I get to the mountains and do a hike by Saturday?? But I've learned that shear determination will bring you whatever results you truly desire.
First, about the week just passed ...
This was the week the exhaustion arrived. It hit me like a brick wall. One minute I was accepting a lunch invitation for sushi and the next I was flat on the floor and barely able to get up. I was a long distance runner in high school and university and I had hit my "wall" many times but this one has sent me flying (or failing!) in a way that I had never expected. I desperately wanted to go out and "do" things - but where the mind was willing, the body was weak. The weather has been stunningly wonderful and it's been a shame to have to be inside "resting". Ugh. Being sick SUCKS!
I live up on top of an escarpment, in a lovely, older, wooded subdivision of Calgary. I'm next to a very large riverside park and trail system and huge off-leash dog area. It's a very quiet neighbourhood and, for the 6 weeks of the year that the leaves are on the trees, it's very pretty.
Shae has decided that I should be in a wheelchair. How sweet and caring of her! Of course, I'd be flattered if she said that because she was looking out for my well-being - but NOoooo ... she said she thinks it would just be a lot of FUN to push me around and then let me GO down the hills of that escarpment. :D (wow, she acts likes she's my real daughter and not just a borrowed one).
They continue to tell me that the bad weeks lay ahead. I continue to tell them that side-effects are for other people. ;) But I now fully understand that vegetables are NOT my friend and the consumption of such shall result in immediate and severe repercussions! As someone who has lived more on vegetables than any other foods my entire life - this is SO hard! I would kill for a plate of lightly sauteed, el dente, vegetables - served on a bed of wilted spinach (ahhh, the memories!) - but I know they would surely kill me first!! :( Until then, I survive on oatmeal (blecch), ice cream and white rice. How lovely. LOL
It's been a very long week and I've been bottling up as much energy as possible to reward myself with a trip to the Mountains with Rhonda and some friends. Success!! I wasn't able to do a full-fledged hike but we did get to the mountains and had a great trek across Lake Minnewanka - in glorious weather. :) It was a great day to be alive!
Laura, me, Rhonda, Elissa - Lake Minnewanka, Banff, AB
My goal for the week became "rest up enough and store enough energy to go to the mountains on Saturday". This was a daunting task when on Monday, I was barely able to muster up enough energy to get to radiation treatment and then come home to sleep again - how on earth would I get to the mountains and do a hike by Saturday?? But I've learned that shear determination will bring you whatever results you truly desire.
First, about the week just passed ...
This was the week the exhaustion arrived. It hit me like a brick wall. One minute I was accepting a lunch invitation for sushi and the next I was flat on the floor and barely able to get up. I was a long distance runner in high school and university and I had hit my "wall" many times but this one has sent me flying (or failing!) in a way that I had never expected. I desperately wanted to go out and "do" things - but where the mind was willing, the body was weak. The weather has been stunningly wonderful and it's been a shame to have to be inside "resting". Ugh. Being sick SUCKS!
I live up on top of an escarpment, in a lovely, older, wooded subdivision of Calgary. I'm next to a very large riverside park and trail system and huge off-leash dog area. It's a very quiet neighbourhood and, for the 6 weeks of the year that the leaves are on the trees, it's very pretty.
Shae has decided that I should be in a wheelchair. How sweet and caring of her! Of course, I'd be flattered if she said that because she was looking out for my well-being - but NOoooo ... she said she thinks it would just be a lot of FUN to push me around and then let me GO down the hills of that escarpment. :D (wow, she acts likes she's my real daughter and not just a borrowed one).
They continue to tell me that the bad weeks lay ahead. I continue to tell them that side-effects are for other people. ;) But I now fully understand that vegetables are NOT my friend and the consumption of such shall result in immediate and severe repercussions! As someone who has lived more on vegetables than any other foods my entire life - this is SO hard! I would kill for a plate of lightly sauteed, el dente, vegetables - served on a bed of wilted spinach (ahhh, the memories!) - but I know they would surely kill me first!! :( Until then, I survive on oatmeal (blecch), ice cream and white rice. How lovely. LOL
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment