Monday, April 6, 2009
Escaping winter and finding adventure
Decisions, decisions, decisions. Escaping winter and finding adventure
Preamble:
It's the dead of the deep, dark winter north of the 49th and mother nature is throwing us another "whack-a-mole" spring. Just when you think spring has poked it's head up from the frozen tundra, good ole' mom nature hits again with another round of -20C and 20cm of snow! That's when sanity sets in (or thaws out) and you realize it's time to get out of Dodge for some serious adventure!
As someone who doesn't believe in suppressing my natural immune system with vaccinations, antibiotics, or other drugs (unless you count wine as a drug!), the requirements for this trip are stessing me out! Hep A, HepB, Typhoid (my name isn't even Mary!), tetanus (that Grand Canyon squirrel bite was 11 yrs ago - darn!) and malaria. YIKES! 4 weeks to go and all I have to show for it is 2 sore shoulders and a rather large dent in my credit card.
This was supposed to be a hasty decision to travel spontaneously to some adventurous location without much forethought. How can last-minute travel take 4 weeks to set in motion? Isn't that an oxymoron? or am I simply too impatient to "follow rules"? Ok, don't answer that one! :)
Here I am ... 4 weeks of immunizations (that I don't believe in) in preparation for a trip that I had an urge to take 4 weeks ago! Follow me and join me on my trip ... from the Amazon to the Andes. Join me on my river adventures, mosquito bites, malaria pills, piranha fishing, jungle camping, Cusco, Machu Picchu and Lima and I'll share with you photos, stories, fun moments and the exhilaration. Never travel alone ... always bring a camera and laptop! :)
First stop ... Toronto! (as fun as that is, it gets better after that!)
Preamble:
It's the dead of the deep, dark winter north of the 49th and mother nature is throwing us another "whack-a-mole" spring. Just when you think spring has poked it's head up from the frozen tundra, good ole' mom nature hits again with another round of -20C and 20cm of snow! That's when sanity sets in (or thaws out) and you realize it's time to get out of Dodge for some serious adventure!
As someone who doesn't believe in suppressing my natural immune system with vaccinations, antibiotics, or other drugs (unless you count wine as a drug!), the requirements for this trip are stessing me out! Hep A, HepB, Typhoid (my name isn't even Mary!), tetanus (that Grand Canyon squirrel bite was 11 yrs ago - darn!) and malaria. YIKES! 4 weeks to go and all I have to show for it is 2 sore shoulders and a rather large dent in my credit card.
This was supposed to be a hasty decision to travel spontaneously to some adventurous location without much forethought. How can last-minute travel take 4 weeks to set in motion? Isn't that an oxymoron? or am I simply too impatient to "follow rules"? Ok, don't answer that one! :)
Here I am ... 4 weeks of immunizations (that I don't believe in) in preparation for a trip that I had an urge to take 4 weeks ago! Follow me and join me on my trip ... from the Amazon to the Andes. Join me on my river adventures, mosquito bites, malaria pills, piranha fishing, jungle camping, Cusco, Machu Picchu and Lima and I'll share with you photos, stories, fun moments and the exhilaration. Never travel alone ... always bring a camera and laptop! :)
First stop ... Toronto! (as fun as that is, it gets better after that!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment